Thursday, August 15, 2013

Random Thoughts and Movie Quotes


Well hellooooo there everyone! I am Ally Dehart and will be a sophomore this year. Feel free to call me Pup if you so desire considering that’s what most people on the team call me! Doing this makes me think about how nervous I was to do this last year, and looking back on it mine was so weird because I talked about cats like the whole time… Whatever. Hopefully I’ll do better this time. 

Anyways, speaking of doing this last year, you have literally NO idea what to expect coming in as a freshmen, well at least I didn’t. Literally my only idea of what to expect came from the numerous amounts of sports movies that I’ve watched over the years. Unfortunately however, those movies lead me a stray a few times and didn’t always give the most accurate representation of what to expect. So I have decided to put together a few misconceptions that the movies left me with to start the season, so the rest of you won’t be as thrown off as I was. So here we go…

White Men Can’t Jump
Well first off, white men, and women CAN jump. More than likely you will figure this out while you’re unsuspectedly swatted by Lairson, Alissa, or Tali. Or at least we can watch them block each other, cause that tends to happen frequently which is always exciting to watch. 

Coach Carter
This was one of the ones that was most deceiving to me. Whenever I did one of my first visits at school, I remember my parents asking how the players manage their schoolwork along with all the work that comes along with playing a sport. So Coach was telling them about study tables which we do in order to have specific time set aside to ensure that we get our work done. So as she is explaining this to them I begin to zone out and imagine what my study tables will look like… which I later found out was very wrong. I imagined study tables being like the scene from Coach Carter when they are having their lockout and they have all their school desks piled into the middle of the gym and they’re all sitting there doing their homework. But, as cool as this would be, we don’t do our homework in the middle of the gym…. Very deceiving, and a bit upsetting I will say.

High School Musical
This one is pretty simple, when you stay after practice to shoot, your life doesn’t become a musical. I’ve tried. 

Okay so those are a few semi-serious things that sports movies do not prepare you for. (Not joking I really wanted to have a basketball flash-mob moment but that never happened). But for those of you who are a sports movie junky like myself, they won’t always leave you empty-handed, and in all honesty can pump you up for what to expect as a Yellow Jacket. Remember the Titans represents the bond and sisterhood we exemplify as a team, especially in the difficult times of adversity. These movies show us the feeling when life is in slow-motion when waiting for a buzzer beater shot to fall (Hoosiers), or the pain that comes after a hard loss like in Friday Night Lights or Richmond High (Rich whaa?), to the joys of a Rudy or Rocky-like celebration. The most important thing that these movies demonstrate in my opinion, is people’s unending love for the game they play, and all the highs and lows that come a long with it. THAT is what you can expect from Yellow Jacket basketball.
Okay but now I’m rambling and my blog is already late (sorry Coach!) But I’m really excited to reunite with everybody and meet the other freshmen! See you all soon!


“At the end of the game, in my book, we're gonna be winners.”

-Hoosiers


Ally (Pup)
             #34